Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Cioran 3

Only when you do not deign even to despise this
world of unsolvable problems will you finally come to achieve a
superior form of personal existence. And this will be so not be-
cause you have any special value or excellence, but because
nothing interests you beyond your own personal agony. 

--

As far as I am concerned,
I resign from humanity. I no longer want to be, nor can still be, a
man. What should I do? Work for a social and political system,
make a girl miserable? Hunt for weaknesses in philosophical
systems, fight for moral and esthetic ideals? It's all too little. I
renounce my humanity even though I may find myself alone.


--

 Knowing full well that men could abolish poverty, you
are nevertheless aware of its eternity and you feel a bitter anxiety
in which man appears in all his petty inconsequence

--

forgetfulness is the only salvation. I would like to forget everything, to forget myself and to forget the world.

--

Not greatly disjoined from life, woman is a tempo-
rary salvation for those on the heights of despair, because
through her a return to life's unconscious and innocent pleasures
is still possible.

--

I can only live at the beginning or the end of this world. 

--

Why not say it? True knowledge is the most
tenebrous darkness. I would gladly exchange all the harrowing
problems of this world for sweet, un-self-conscious naiveté. The 
spirit does not elevate; it tears you apart. 

--

Should Eros also be my enemy? Why is it that, when
love is reborn in me, I become so afraid that I am ready to swal-
low the entire world in order to stop my love from growing? My
predicament: I want to be disappointed in love so that I will have
more reasons to suffer. Only love reveals to you your true degra- 
dation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment